Savoury rice gruel during Ayurvedic cleanse to rehydrate the body first in the morning! It’s light on digestion, contains protein and 11 essential minerals including iron to help boost energy! This recipe is also perfect for nauseous perinatal mama’s or anyone experiencing bouts of diarrhoea who have little to no appetite!
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 9 cups vegetable or bone broth (add more/less depending on consistency you’re after, can add water instead of more broth)
- 1 tbs ghee
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder or 2 fresh slices
- Salt as needed
- coriander or parsley to garnish
- Optional: add boiled egg or toasted sesame seeds on top
1. First wash rice thoroughly under fresh running water.
2. Using a medium pot or iron wok over medium flame, heat ghee, once hot add in ginger, black pepper and fry until aromatic. Then add in rice and fry for few mins, stirring and coating it in the ghee.
3. Remove from heat and add in broth then place back on high heat, cover and bring to boil.
4. Reduce to medium simmer with lid on and cook for 40min (stirring occasionally) or until rice has turn to mush and consistency is almost porridge like.
5. Remove from heat and let cool (remembering that the consistency will thicken as it cools down).
6. Serve warm with desired toppings such as boiled egg, kimchi, herbs, more ghee, sesame seeds etc. I personally like mine simple as the buttery ghee is enough for me!